Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

He Needs Visitors!

Dad is continuing his improvement. He still has a long way to go, but his progress this far has been very good. His speech continues to improve and he is able to have more meaningful conversations. He still has some trouble finding the right words, but that has happening less and less.

I was in Corpus on Saturday evening and most of the day on Sunday. I spent most of that time with dad. Bob and Jan Kraner, Cliff and Dena Kraner and their kids made the trip down from Houston on Sunday. They were in Corpus for a few days and spent quite a bit of time with dad. Buz and Janet Maxwell were there on Sunday for a little while.

Tonight, dad had several visitors. Robert and Dorothy Maxwell were in Corpus and stopped by, as did Kirby and Kaaren Barker. Katrina Powell and Kim Cooper, who I went to high school with and worked for dad at the Cancer Center, were there. Dad really enjoyed seeing them. Gary and Sherrie Moyers also made an appearance.

(Side note: Dorothy just graduated with a physical therapy assistant degree and had dad moving his right fingers.)

I hope most of you are sensing a theme here. For those of you in Corpus, that theme would be to GO SEE DAD! One of the big reasons we’re back in Corpus is so that dad can see a lot of his friends. He needs to see a lot of people who can encourage him to continue working hard and making progress. He needs to see people besides us. He sees us all the time and needs to know that other people care about his progress.

Dad is in Spohn Shorline in room 4201. He is in therapy on and off for most of the day. The best time to go for a visit is anytime after 4:30 in the afternoon. Nobody needs to feel like they need to stay for a long time, but just to stop by for a few minutes will mean a lot to him (and us).

As I mentioned in my last update, Kathryn Taylor (mom’s mom) passed away last Tuesday. I went to Corpus and on Wednesday mom and I went to Abilene for the funeral, which was on Friday morning. Charlton and Eddie Sharp, the minister at the University Church in Abilene, did the service. The both did an excellent job. Charlton did the history portion of the service and laid Meemaw’s life out like a book, which was very fitting as she worked in ACU’s library most of her life and loved to read.

Charlton’s parent’s, Charley and Terrie, and his sisters, Kamalyn and Marissa were also in Abilene for the funeral. All told, we had eight kids ages six and under. It was a lot of fun playing with those little ones.

All in all, it was a good trip to Abilene, except for the flat mom and I had on our way back.

Anyway, please continue to pray for dad’s continued improvement.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?