Wednesday, July 19, 2006

 

Finally, an Update

Well, it’s been a while since my last update. I know some of you were starting to get antsy, so I apologize.

Tomorrow, Dad will have been at the Transitional Learning Center in Galveston for a month. Dad has a dorm-style room and a roommate. His roommate is a nice man from Ethiopia.

A typical day at the TLC will include getting up at 7:00 am, with breakfast being served at 8:00 am. Various therapy sessions, beginning at 9:00 am, begin each hour until 5:00 pm, with lunch at noon. The therapy sessions include various combinations of physical, occupational and speech therapy. Diner is usually concluded around 5:30 pm and there is a shower and free time until its time for bed. Needless to say, dad is usually worn out at the end of a day.

Dad seems to be responding well to the various therapies. He is speaking better, although he still has some trouble with word recall. He also has had some more movement in his right side, but the recovery process still has a lot of room for improvement. He tells me that the therapy is working, which I think is a good sign.

Mom has been making the trip to Galveston each weekend and I have been making the trip at least once during the week and at least once on the weekends. On the weekends and in the evenings, there is a lot of down time and it is easy for dad to get bored. I think that it’s important that he sees familiar faces as often as possible, just to have someone to talk to and know that he is cared about. If anyone would like to get to Galveston to see him, let me know and I’ll be happy to provide specific directions.

Dad received about five cards from various people while I was there this evening. He is always happy to receive cards, so keep ‘em coming. Here’s the address:

Transitional Learning Center at Galveston
Attn: John Maxwell
1528 Postoffice Street
Galveston, Texas 77550

There is a lot going on in our family right now. As far as the move to Abilene is concerned, Mary Beth, Charlton (and kids) and I will all be in Corpus the week of August 7 to help pack up the house. The moving van will be coming at some point the week of August 21 to move everything.

Mom also has her new job to think about. She will be teaching three classes in addition to assisting with the launch of ACU’s online master’s program in education. Hopefully she will have enough time to get her syllabi ready!

I would ask that you continue to pray for my dad’s continued improvement and that he maintains a positive mental state. With my mom’s job change, there will be a change in insurance. Please pray that there will be no major issues with the transfer of the insurance and no interruptions of care. Additionally, with all of the travel that we are and will be doing, please pray for our continued safety.

Here’s a praise: Mom hasn’t even really had to look for places to stay in Galveston. Numerous people, usually friends of friends, have offered for her to say at their places in Galveston, which, in some cases, are just a few blocks from the TLC. I would almost seem like someone is looking out for her!

Marc

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?