Saturday, July 29, 2006

 

I gotta say, it was a good day...

Today, Kirby and Kaaren Barker were in Galveston for a visit with dad. Dad suggested that we go out for lunch, so we went to a local seafood restaurant. Mom was able to assist dad in getting in and out of the car with much trouble. This was the first time that dad had been out to eat in over five months.

It was good to see the Barkers. They have been friends of our family for a long time and dad and Kirby have known each other since they were kids. We had good conversation and stayed at the restaurant for about two hours! I know that dad was happy to have some real conversation and someone else to talk to besides mom and me!

I figured that he would be pretty much exhausted after lunch, but around 7:00 this evening, he told mom that they should go out for ice cream! Mom ended up going to the store to get some and they at it in dad’s room. It does appear that things are coming together and he is still on the road to a good recovery. This is also the first time that I’ve really heard dad talk about the future and things that he wants to do, specifically in regards to my parent’s future in Abilene. Even though the move to Abilene was a joint decision my parents made long before dad’s stroke, mom still questions whether this is the right decision or not. Needless to say, it was very good for her to hear dad talk about their future there.

In other good news, dad had the feeding tube removed from his stomach on Friday. This had not been previously removed most likely as there was a small chance that it may be needed again. The removal has certainly made him more comfortable. He has been eating well and I know he was happy to go out today for some real food at the restaurant. He ate a cup of gumbo and an entire seafood platter, which was not small. So, for those of you who question my appetite, now you know where I get it from!

Dad’s speech continues to improve, although, at times, he continues to slur his speech and have some trouble with word recall. His troubles with word recall appear to be waning.

We are still working on my parent’s move to Abilene. Gretchen Ware has been helping mom pack and purge for the past couple of weeks. The Ware’s have moved a few times and Gretchen is quite proficient at it, so her help is very much appreciated. As of today, the moving van is coming the week of August 7. I am taking that week off to be available to assist mom wherever I can.

Mary Beth, Charlton and the kids will be making the trip to Galveston late next week to see dad. This will be the first time that Mary Beth will have seen dad since he was in Lubbock, so I know that they will be happy to see each other. I also know that dad will be really happy to see his grandkids. After the visit, they will head to Corpus to help with the final preparations for the move.

Please continue praying for dad’s persistence in his recovery and his continued improvement. Please pray that the timing of the move comes together without any major problems and for safety in all of our travels. As mom is changing jobs soon, please pray that there are no significant issues with the change in insurance coverage.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has been sending dad mail. He really enjoys getting it, so please keep it coming. Here’s the address:

Transitional Learning Center at Galveston
Attn: John Maxwell
1528 Postoffice Street
Galveston, Texas 77550

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?