Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Day 1: Abilene, Texas
Total Miles Traveled: 350
Well, my first stop is in Abilene at the Parent’s Bed & Breakfast. I left Houston shortly after noon and made good time. I am having a good time with the folks and our dog, Mazie. Mom cooked a roast for dinner and it was delicious. As someone in our family has a birthday tomorrow (me), mom also made me a red velvet cake. YUMMY! Red velvet cake is the traditional birthday cake in our family and, to this day, I still don’t really like any other kind of cake.
An important part of any road trip is the in-flight entertainment. Luckily enough, Black No. 1 came equipped with XM Radio. I can go on my whole trip and never change the station if I don’t want to. When I’m not listening to talk radio (Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, etc.), I have an iPod full of road trip music, such as:
Wherever I May Roam – Metallica
Life is a Highway – Tom Cochrane and, more recently, Rascal Flats
Two Lane Blacktop – Rob Zombie
On the Road Again – Willie Nelson
Highway to Hell – AC/DC
Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler) – Alabama
Middle of the Road – The Pretenders
I Can’t Drive 55 – Sammy Hagar
Crossroads – Eric Clapton
The Road’s My Middle Name – Bonnie Raitt
Radar Love – Golden Earring
I am the Highway – Audioslave
Riders on the Storm – The Doors
Road Trippin’ – Red Hot Chili Peppers
Truckin’ – Greatful Dead
Space Truckin’ – Deep Purple
Magic Carpet Ride – Steppenwolf
Takin’ it to the Streets – The Doobie Brothers
Travelin’ Band - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
Life in the Fast Lane – The Eagles
Right Turn – Alice in Chains
Gasoline – Audioslave
Roam – B-52s
Movin’ On – Bad Company
The Long and Winding Road – The Beatles
Hitch a Ride – Boston
Mud on the Tires – Brad Paisley
Road to Nowhere – Ozzy Osbourne
Fuel – Metallica
Anywhere but Here – Cross Canadian Ragweed
Anyway, those are just a few that come to mind. Hopefully, I will not be listening to:
Crashed – Daughtry
Runnin’ on Empty – Jackson Browne
Rain – The Cult
Rain - Audiovent
The first national park I want to visit is a long way from here, so tomorrow I’m going as far north as I can. I want to get an early start in the morning, so I’m going to bed. Where will I end up tomorrow? What national park will I visit first? Check back tomorrow to find out. I sure hope my hotel has internet access….
Well, my first stop is in Abilene at the Parent’s Bed & Breakfast. I left Houston shortly after noon and made good time. I am having a good time with the folks and our dog, Mazie. Mom cooked a roast for dinner and it was delicious. As someone in our family has a birthday tomorrow (me), mom also made me a red velvet cake. YUMMY! Red velvet cake is the traditional birthday cake in our family and, to this day, I still don’t really like any other kind of cake.
An important part of any road trip is the in-flight entertainment. Luckily enough, Black No. 1 came equipped with XM Radio. I can go on my whole trip and never change the station if I don’t want to. When I’m not listening to talk radio (Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, etc.), I have an iPod full of road trip music, such as:
Wherever I May Roam – Metallica
Life is a Highway – Tom Cochrane and, more recently, Rascal Flats
Two Lane Blacktop – Rob Zombie
On the Road Again – Willie Nelson
Highway to Hell – AC/DC
Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler) – Alabama
Middle of the Road – The Pretenders
I Can’t Drive 55 – Sammy Hagar
Crossroads – Eric Clapton
The Road’s My Middle Name – Bonnie Raitt
Radar Love – Golden Earring
I am the Highway – Audioslave
Riders on the Storm – The Doors
Road Trippin’ – Red Hot Chili Peppers
Truckin’ – Greatful Dead
Space Truckin’ – Deep Purple
Magic Carpet Ride – Steppenwolf
Takin’ it to the Streets – The Doobie Brothers
Travelin’ Band - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
Life in the Fast Lane – The Eagles
Right Turn – Alice in Chains
Gasoline – Audioslave
Roam – B-52s
Movin’ On – Bad Company
The Long and Winding Road – The Beatles
Hitch a Ride – Boston
Mud on the Tires – Brad Paisley
Road to Nowhere – Ozzy Osbourne
Fuel – Metallica
Anywhere but Here – Cross Canadian Ragweed
Anyway, those are just a few that come to mind. Hopefully, I will not be listening to:
Crashed – Daughtry
Runnin’ on Empty – Jackson Browne
Rain – The Cult
Rain - Audiovent
The first national park I want to visit is a long way from here, so tomorrow I’m going as far north as I can. I want to get an early start in the morning, so I’m going to bed. Where will I end up tomorrow? What national park will I visit first? Check back tomorrow to find out. I sure hope my hotel has internet access….

