Thursday, August 16, 2007
Day 2: Valentine, Nebraska
Total Miles Traveled: 1165
That’s right, I’m in Valentine. I can think of several, but I’ll leave it up to you, dear reader, to insert your own joke about a single fella staying in a town called Valentine….
Today was my long day. I left Abilene about 6:45 this morning and spent all day heading north, with one little detour, on U.S. Highway 83. I managed to add three states to my “been to” list. I had not been to Oklahoma, Kansas or Nebraska before today. I could’ve done without Oklahoma.
One thing that was definitely reinforced for me today is that I certainly do love Texas, especially small towns in Texas. The people are so friendly. It’s nice to have just about everyone you pass wave hello to you. I do get to experience this friendly greeting in Houston on most days, except that the wave is typically of the one finger variety.
I did manage to visit one rather unique place today. I stopped at this place in Kansas called Monument Rocks. This place is about 6 miles off of the highway and is out in the middle of nowhere. The roads weren’t marked, much less paved. Thank God for GPS. Anyway, the Monument Rocks are weird limestone formations that are about 50 feet tall. They are oddly out of place with the rest of the landscape. This was a good place to eat lunch as it was very peaceful and quiet. Enjoy the pictures:


I gotta say it was a good day. (I didn’t even have to use my AK!) I was a little nervous about today as it was a long one, but it went very well. I can now add an 800 mile solo trip to my short, but growing, list of accomplishments!
Tomorrow I’m off to Badlands National Park in southwestern South Dakota. I’m planning on camping tomorrow night, so it should be an adventure. The last time I checked, there was no wireless internet access at this particular campsite. I will try to post my next update on Saturday night.
That’s right, I’m in Valentine. I can think of several, but I’ll leave it up to you, dear reader, to insert your own joke about a single fella staying in a town called Valentine….
Today was my long day. I left Abilene about 6:45 this morning and spent all day heading north, with one little detour, on U.S. Highway 83. I managed to add three states to my “been to” list. I had not been to Oklahoma, Kansas or Nebraska before today. I could’ve done without Oklahoma.
One thing that was definitely reinforced for me today is that I certainly do love Texas, especially small towns in Texas. The people are so friendly. It’s nice to have just about everyone you pass wave hello to you. I do get to experience this friendly greeting in Houston on most days, except that the wave is typically of the one finger variety.
I did manage to visit one rather unique place today. I stopped at this place in Kansas called Monument Rocks. This place is about 6 miles off of the highway and is out in the middle of nowhere. The roads weren’t marked, much less paved. Thank God for GPS. Anyway, the Monument Rocks are weird limestone formations that are about 50 feet tall. They are oddly out of place with the rest of the landscape. This was a good place to eat lunch as it was very peaceful and quiet. Enjoy the pictures:
I gotta say it was a good day. (I didn’t even have to use my AK!) I was a little nervous about today as it was a long one, but it went very well. I can now add an 800 mile solo trip to my short, but growing, list of accomplishments!
Tomorrow I’m off to Badlands National Park in southwestern South Dakota. I’m planning on camping tomorrow night, so it should be an adventure. The last time I checked, there was no wireless internet access at this particular campsite. I will try to post my next update on Saturday night.
Comments:
<< Home
Mary Beth and I will be checking your blog for the next month to see how things are going and to get a picture update. It looks like you are going to have a great time. We are a little jealous.
Post a Comment
<< Home

