Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Road Trip!
I have to say that I am a fan of the road trip. I love being out on the road in the middle of nowhere with hardly any responsibility. Plus, it’s such a great way to see the country. Anyone can fly to San Francisco, New York or Washington, D.C., but not everyone gets to see places like Zabriskie Point, the Navajo Bridge, Point Sublime, Monument Valley or Canyon de Chelly
I’ve done several road trips. I’ve been through New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York during the fall. I’ve been to the Grand Canyon and around the four corners area. I’ve also been from Virginia to New York City. All of these trips were terrific and were less than a week.
For my next vacation, which starts today, I have something a little more ambitious planned. I have taken a month off of work and will be doing some driving, with a bunch of hiking and some camping thrown into the mix and, of course, visiting some family and friends. Since I’m trapped in an office most of the time, I will definitely be spending a lot of time outside. Hopefully, it won’t be as hot as Houston has been lately.
Other than one week in Colorado in January, I haven’t had a real vacation in almost two years. While trying to figure out what to do this year, I had the idea for another road trip, which grew into what I now have planned. One of the main things that I was looking forward to on this trip was to be free from schedules and deadlines. It was after I had scheduled my time off that I found out that I need to be in Chicago for several days in late August for work. There went the freedom from schedules. Now I need to be somewhere with an airport to catch a flight to Chicago.
A very important part of any road trip is your vehicle. I have spent some time (and some money) making sure old Black No. 1 (that would be my truck) is up to the challenge.
The trip is now upon me and I am excited. Where will I go? What will I do? I will leave it up to you, dear reader, to check back often as I will do my best to update my progress and post some pictures. So, let’s hit the road….
I’ve done several road trips. I’ve been through New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York during the fall. I’ve been to the Grand Canyon and around the four corners area. I’ve also been from Virginia to New York City. All of these trips were terrific and were less than a week.
For my next vacation, which starts today, I have something a little more ambitious planned. I have taken a month off of work and will be doing some driving, with a bunch of hiking and some camping thrown into the mix and, of course, visiting some family and friends. Since I’m trapped in an office most of the time, I will definitely be spending a lot of time outside. Hopefully, it won’t be as hot as Houston has been lately.
Other than one week in Colorado in January, I haven’t had a real vacation in almost two years. While trying to figure out what to do this year, I had the idea for another road trip, which grew into what I now have planned. One of the main things that I was looking forward to on this trip was to be free from schedules and deadlines. It was after I had scheduled my time off that I found out that I need to be in Chicago for several days in late August for work. There went the freedom from schedules. Now I need to be somewhere with an airport to catch a flight to Chicago.
A very important part of any road trip is your vehicle. I have spent some time (and some money) making sure old Black No. 1 (that would be my truck) is up to the challenge.The trip is now upon me and I am excited. Where will I go? What will I do? I will leave it up to you, dear reader, to check back often as I will do my best to update my progress and post some pictures. So, let’s hit the road….
